Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Baby talk

Friends and family, you will soon be able to predict the quality of Savannah's naps by the frequency of my posts! It has been a few days since we've had one over 45 minutes. There seems to be a consistent break in her sleep cycle then and she is only sometimes successful at getting herself back to sleep. The fact that she has that skill at all is pretty amazing to me, since at 34 I have trouble getting myself back to sleep. She either makes a quick yelp followed by silence and 30-45 minutes more rest, or a quick yelp followed by cries for someone to come save her from the dark room. Sometimes I sneak in and pop the pacifier in her mouth, sending her back to land of zzz's, but according to our sleep class instructor, I'm supposed to refrain from doing that so she can further her self-soothing progression. I'll have to ask my parents if they always helped me back to sleep, thus making me the restless sleeper I am today. But back to Savannah, when she wakes up rested all we hear is her quiet chatter with herself..."ahhhh.....gooooh......baaaah". We love waking up to her baby talk in the morning and hope that she doesn't mind that we lie in our room and listen for as long as she sounds like she is still enjoying herself.

Yesterday, when Rick and Savannah were on the couch enjoying some "Daddy-Time", he hollered for me to rush to the family room. Savannah was scooting her way up his body as he laid there, almost crawling. She's not quite there yet, but with a little something to push against, daddy's body or a rolled up towel behind her feet, she can get herself more than 6 inches along. When she's on her tummy in her crib she usually moves herself 90-180 degrees before the morning, which is getting problematic given the small variance between her height and the width if the crib. She has also started to recognize objects in front of her, especially her pacifier, and is reaching for them. She can't quite hit the tail on the donkey with her swats at the object of the moment yet, but her hand-eye coordination is pretty close, within a centimeter or two. Her favorite things to grab right now are her pacifier and a little green teething ring that makes a funny wet tennis shoe noise when she bites it. She also has a wooden rattle that she likes from Granny and Papa-G, but we have to watch her close with it be use she has wacked herself to tears before. I guess there is some benefit to those soft plastics made in China!

No comments:

Post a Comment